I didn’t want to jump the gun and reveal my progress with this pickup build too early, but at this point I have more than a year into this design and after today, this felt pretty good. Besides, I prolly won’t get to the ears and the base until Sunday. Here’s an image of my neodymium bass sidewinder pickup:
I sanded and polished the epoxy parts. I basically sanded it up to 2000 grit. It polishes OK, but I don’t know if I can get it up to a gloss. I think that’s where CA glue would come int. The bars are just roughly sanded and need sanding and polishing. I’ll get to that this weekend as well. I’m really envisioning them in chrome.
Once I cleaned up my epoxy resin cast bobbins, they looked pretty good. I’ve been talking a lot of smack about Garolite as a bobbin flange material lately, but I gotta say it worked great. It feathered right into the epoxy.
In addition to the base, my next big quandary is going to be this: I’m going to need to “pot” the space in between the coils and the bars. I left about .005″ gap on either side – not a lot, but enough to see daylight through it. There has to be some space in order to assure that the magnets are making full contact with the bars. We’ll see. Dripping the clear penetrating epoxy sealer would make kind of a mess. I don’t know if I even want to think about pouring potting wax in there.